- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus about 1/2 cup for kneading)
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In a large bowl, add flours and salt. Mix.
- In a small bowl/jug, add hot water, yeast, sugar and most of theoil. Stir. (It should bubble)
- Add liquid to large bowl and mix until all flour is combined with liquid to make a sticky dough.
- Move dough to floured surface and knead about 5 mins.
- Return dough to the large bowl and cover with a cloth.
- Wait 2 hours. (Dough should have doubled)
- Return to floured surface and split into 2 .
- Form into loaf shape and place in loaf pans, smooth side up. Cover with cloth.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bake 10 mins in middle of oven.
- Reduce to 325°F for 17 mins
- Remove loaves to wire rack.
- Wipe tops with oil.